Back
16.03.2020Bayer 04

Bundesliga suspended to 2 April

The German Football League (DFL) held an extraordinary general meeting today (Monday). Bayer 04 Leverkusen were represented by Fernando Carro, chairman of the board. The following decisions and information have since been announced.
Bundesliga_1819.jpg
  • Matchday 27 (20-22 March) has, like matchday 26, been suspended. "Of course, that does not mean," said DFL CEO Christian Seifert, "we will start playing again from 3 April."
  • The next meeting of the professional clubs is planned for the last week in March. That will a further suspension or resumption of fixtures. In addition, an "emergency paragraph" was agreed "to ensure the league continues to be able to act in the event of continuing or further restrictions," said Seifert.
  • Whether or not national leagues can complete their seasons according to the rules, is also dependent on decisions made by UEFA at their meeting tomorrow (Tuesday). Only if the European association cancels or, at least, postpones the planned European championship finals (12 June to 12 July), can there be the option of theoretically fully completing the season by the end of June.

Fernando Carro, chairman of the board at Bayer 04 Leverkusen, assessed the decisions of the DFL as follows: "There is great consensus amongst the representatives of the 36 professional clubs about the agreed approach. We are all aware of our responsibility to primarily ensure the health of everybody but also beyond that. As Bayer 04 Leverkusen, we must and will primarily focus on the health of our players and staff as well as the required maintenance of our business activity. That comes first. At the same time, we will endeavour, provided this exceptional situation with its unpredictable course of evets allows us, to discuss scenarios for the continuation of fixtures together with our local authorities and in unison with the DFL."

crop_20200130_schueler_spobis_1053.jpg
Fernando Carro, Vorsitzender der Geschäftsführung, nahm für Bayer 04 Leverkusen an der Mitgliederversammlung der DFL in Frankfurt teil.

Related News

Die Werkself bejubelt das 2:0 in Wiesbaden
DFB-Pokal - 22.08.2026

4–0 in Wiesbaden – Werkself through to DFB Pokal second round

Bayer 04 have comfortably reached the DFB Pokal second round thanks to a 4–0 victory away to Liga 3 side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. Patrik Schick put the Werkself ahead in the first 45 in the first competitive match under head coach Carles Martínez with debuts for new signings Miguel Gutiérrez, Afonso Moreira and Facundo Medina. After the break, Lucas Vázquez (47'), Nathan Tella (69') and Christian Kofane (79') also found the back of the net.

Show more
Kurzpässe vor #SVWWB04
DFB-Pokal - 22.08.2026

Matchday news: Season kicks off in DFB Pokal

Today brings the first match of the season for the Werkself. Bayer 04 kick off the 2026/27 campaign today, Saturday 22 August, at 13:00 CEST with a first-round DFB Pokal tie away to third-tier side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. The 3,700 travelling fans can not only look forward to what will hopefully be a successful start to the season, but also now organise their journeys to Black and Reds games even more easily via the WERKSELFgo car-share platform. Meanwhile, following two defeats at the start of the league season, SV Wehen are hoping to spring a surprise in the DFB Pokal tie. Today’s matchday news.

Show more
Carolin Simon
Women - 21.08.2026

Women: Carolin Simon appointed as new captain

Carolin Simon is the new captain of the Bayer 04 women’s team. The full-back, who joined from Bayern Munich in the summer, will take over the captain’s armband for the 2026/27 season. Simon returned to Leverkusen in the summer after ten years away. The 33-year-old succeeds goalkeeper Friederike Repohl, who retired at the end of last season.

Show more
Die Trikots von Lucas Vázquez und Afonso Moreira
Bayer 04 - 21.08.2026

Squad numbers: Moreira number 9 – Vázquez now number 17

With the 2026/27 season set to kick off with a DFB Pokal tie away to SV Wehen Wiesbaden (Saturday, 22 August, 13:00 CEST), the squad numbers for two Werkself players have now been confirmed. New signing Afonso Moreira will wear the number 9, which he has already worn in pre-season friendlies. Lucas Vázquez is switching from number 21 to number 17 – the number he wore successfully at Real Madrid for many years.

Show more