Back
28.09.2021Bayer 04

Jonathan Tah extends Bayer 04 contract until 2025

Jonathan Tah has extended his contract at Bayer 04 Leverkusen by another two years until 2025. Having joined the Werkself in 2015, the central defender made his debut for the club in the Champions League, has become a senior Germany international here, competed at a European Championship and World Cup, and has so far made 223 competitive appearances at the BayArena.
crop_20210928_NB_B04_Jonathan_Tah__21353.jpg

“I feel incredibly at home at this club. When I came to Leverkusen as a young player in 2015, I had the best conditions to develop and become the player I am today. I was able to play in Europe early on in my career with Bayer 04 and also found my way into the national team,” Tah said on extending his deal. “We always had good players, but right now I have the feeling something is developing in Leverkusen. I believe in this team, in this club and see a chance for us to achieve something extraordinary.”

Rolfes: Important setting of course

Sporting director Simon Rolfes described Tah’s contract extension as “an important setting of course for a successful future. Jonathan has developed from a talented youngster into a seasoned leader with us. He doesn’t just have a role of responsibility on the pitch, but his word also carries weight off it. Jonathan is multi-talented and very reflective. He can serve as a good example to many of our young players of what it means to become a professional.”

Managing director for sport Rudi Völler considers Tah’s resilience and ambition to be special qualities of the 1.95m defender, in addition to his footballing ability. “After an extremely impressive and consistent start in the Bundesliga, Jonathan has never let isolated setbacks get him down. That’s what sets him apart. Instead, he fought all the more and faced every challenge,” Völler said. “This attitude is exemplary. Jonathan is someone who leads from the front with confidence and who absolutely identifies with Bayer 04 Leverkusen.”

crop_Tah_Toprak_Jubel.jpg

Related News

Werkself through to 2nd round after 4-0 in Wiesbaden | 1st round DFB Pokal
Werkself-TV - 22.08.2026

TV highlights of 4-0 win at Wehen Wiesbaden

Werkself-TV shows the highlights of Bayer 04's 4-0 win at Wehen Wiesbaden in the first round of the DFB-Pokal 2026/27...

Show more
Die Werkself bejubelt das 2:0 in Wiesbaden
DFB-Pokal - 22.08.2026

4–0 in Wiesbaden – Werkself through to DFB Pokal second round

Bayer 04 have comfortably reached the DFB Pokal second round thanks to a 4–0 victory away to Liga 3 side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. Patrik Schick put the Werkself ahead in the first 45 in the first competitive match under head coach Carles Martínez with debuts for new signings Miguel Gutiérrez, Afonso Moreira and Facundo Medina. After the break, Lucas Vázquez (47'), Nathan Tella (69') and Christian Kofane (79') also found the back of the net.

Show more
Kurzpässe vor #SVWWB04
DFB-Pokal - 22.08.2026

Matchday news: Season kicks off in DFB Pokal

Today brings the first match of the season for the Werkself. Bayer 04 kick off the 2026/27 campaign today, Saturday 22 August, at 13:00 CEST with a first-round DFB Pokal tie away to third-tier side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. The 3,700 travelling fans can not only look forward to what will hopefully be a successful start to the season, but also now organise their journeys to Black and Reds games even more easily via the WERKSELFgo car-share platform. Meanwhile, following two defeats at the start of the league season, SV Wehen are hoping to spring a surprise in the DFB Pokal tie. Today’s matchday news.

Show more
Carolin Simon
Women - 21.08.2026

Women: Carolin Simon appointed as new captain

Carolin Simon is the new captain of the Bayer 04 women’s team. The full-back, who joined from Bayern Munich in the summer, will take over the captain’s armband for the 2026/27 season. Simon returned to Leverkusen in the summer after ten years away. The 33-year-old succeeds goalkeeper Friederike Repohl, who retired at the end of last season.

Show more