Back
29.03.2024Werkself-TV

Alonso ahead of #B04TSG: ‘I'm in the right place, I'm staying at Bayer 04'

Xabi Alonso will remain as head coach at Bayer 04 next season. The 42-year-old announced his decision at the pre-match press conference ahead of the Bundesliga home game against TSG Hoffenheim (Saturday, 30 March, 15:30 CET). Here's the reasons for his decision to stay at Leverkusen and comments ahead of tomorrow's game against TSG.

Display videos

Yes, I'd like to see videos dispalyed.

At the start of the press conference on Good Friday, Alonso explained his decision in English: "Last week I had a very good meeting with Simon [Rolfes] and Fernando [Carro] when I informed them of my decision to continue being coach of Bayer Leverkusen." And he added: "I feel that this is the right place for me to develop as a coach. I have a good feeling as a young coach. I feel that my job is not over here. I want to help them, I want to help the team, I want to help the young players develop. And if I'm part of the process then I'm happy with that."

Alonso said he used the international break to reflect. The Spanish coach stated: "Once I had taken the decision it was important to share the decision with everyone because I need to give them back the respect they have shown me. I am grateful to these people as well that they believe; the fans, my staff, the players. Now everything is clear and we have two months to give full gas and fight for something that could be great for this club." Alonso shared his decision with his players ahead of the training session on Friday morning.

full focus on Hoffenheim

Alonso said he is fully focused on the home game against Hoffenheim. TSG come to Leverkusen full of confidence lying eighth in the table. Pellegrino Matarazzo's team is one of three in the Bundesliga who have picked up more points on the road than they have at home. Hoffenheim rank sixth for away points with 20 from 13 games.

The 19 Werkself players away on international duty have all returned fit and well. In addition to Arthur, only Exequiel Palacios and Victor Boniface are ruled out for the game against TSG but they are expected to return to the matchday squad soon.

Xabi Alonso

In the few training sessions with the squad this week, there was great excitement amongst the players ahead of the next match for Bayer 04 with all the home sections at the BayArena sold out. Alonso said: "You could see the lads were happy to be together again. We have two crucial months coming up that starts with tomorrow's important game against Hoffenheim."

TRAVEL UPDATE

Due to roadworks on Robert-Blum-Straße / Im Eisholz there will be delays getting to and from the match. Traffic on Robert-Blum-Straße will be controlled via temporary traffic lights. Montessoriweg will be a one-way street. We advise fans to leave in good time to get to the BayArena and recommend using the public transport network, the shuttle bus service and bicycles. The roadworks are due to last to 5 April.

 

Related News

Kurzpässe vor #SVWWB04
DFB-Pokal - 22.08.2026

Matchday news: Season kicks off in DFB Pokal

Today brings the first match of the season for the Werkself. Bayer 04 kick off the 2026/27 campaign today, Saturday 22 August, at 13:00 CEST with a first-round DFB Pokal tie away to third-tier side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. The 3,700 travelling fans can not only look forward to what will hopefully be a successful start to the season, but also now organise their journeys to Black and Reds games even more easily via the WERKSELFgo car-share platform. Meanwhile, following two defeats at the start of the league season, SV Wehen are hoping to spring a surprise in the DFB Pokal tie. Today’s matchday news.

Show more
Carolin Simon
Women - 21.08.2026

Women: Carolin Simon appointed as new captain

Carolin Simon is the new captain of the Bayer 04 women’s team. The full-back, who joined from Bayern Munich in the summer, will take over the captain’s armband for the 2026/27 season. Simon returned to Leverkusen in the summer after ten years away. The 33-year-old succeeds goalkeeper Friederike Repohl, who retired at the end of last season.

Show more
Die PK vor dem DFB-Pokalspiel bei Wehen Wiesbaden | 1. Runde DFB-Pokal
Werkself-TV - 21.08.2026

Martínez ahead of DFB Pokal tie : ‘What we all love most about football’ – Tapsoba named captain

Bayer 04 start the 2026/27 season away to third-division side SV Wehen Wiesbaden. Ahead of the DFB Pokal tie on Saturday 22 August (kick-off: 13:00 CEST), head coach Carles Martínez spoke at the pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon. The topics: anticipation, passion, the fans’ support – and the captaincy for the new season.

Show more
Loreen Bender am Ball
Women - 21.08.2026

‘Competition is fierce’: Women kick off Bundesliga campaign in Leipzig

After 62 days of preparation, the time has finally come: the Werkself kick off the new Google Pixel Women’s Bundesliga season on Sunday (16:00 CEST) with an away match at RB Leipzig. Following a major shake-up over the summer, with eleven players leaving and twelve new signings, initial impressions from the past few weeks have given manager Roberto Pätzold great cause for optimism.

Show more
SV Wehen Wiesbaden
DFB-Pokal - 20.08.2026

Our next opponents: Turn the ultimate challenge into an opportunity

SV Wehen Wiesbaden undoubtedly envisaged a different start to the new season. After two matchdays, the Hessen side currently sit bottom of the Liga 3 table. On Saturday 22 August (kick-off: 13:00 CEST), SVWW host the Werkself in the first round of the DFB Pokal at their home ground, the BRITA Arena. It was there, in this very competition a year ago, that the club almost pulled off a massive upset. The lowdown on our next opponents.

Show more