
It was a chance for Hannover 96 to move into the play-off spot but ended with a disaster at VfB Stuttgart. The match against a direct rival from Swabia ended in a 5-1 defeat, a result as clear as the words expressed after the final whistle. "I've been in the game for a long time but I've never seen a performance like that," said coach Thomas Doll (pictured above), who was appointed at the end of January to prevent the team from Lower Saxony being relegated. "The way we performed had nothing to do with the Bundesliga. Everybody involved with Hannover 96 can only be ashamed," said the coach immediately after the game. The position for Hannover 96 has clearly worsened since the defeat at Stuttgart. A two-point gap to the play-off position of 16th has now increased to five points and seven of the last eight games have ended in defeat. Straight after the match, Doll announced he would take immediate action and that started the next day. The 52-year-old coach cancelled the day off in the week before the game against Bayer 04.
But that was not the only measure: Doll laid down another marker on Tuesday when he made Marvin Bakalorz the new captain, taking the armband off Waldemar Anton who had been the youngest captain in the Bundesliga at the age of 22. "He took it with relief in this situation," said Doll in describing the discussions with the central defender. As Bakalorz has not been an established first choice recently, it could be good that Doll has chosen the goalkeeper Michael Esser as the new vice-captain and he will lead the team onto the pitch against Bayer 04. In spite of conceding eleven goals in the last three games, Esser has mainly been the best player for Hannover this term. Doll is currently unable to call on a number of key players. The most dangerous striker, Niclas Füllkrug, Is sidelined for the rest of the season and the flanks are not currently occupied to the best possible level due to the absence through injury of Ihlas Bebou, Linton Maina and Noah Sarenren Bazee. Bebou, one of the most important players in Hannover's attack, is training again after a long period on the sidelines but the match against the Werkself could come too early for the Togo international. The relatively long injury list at the Lower Saxony club is completed by midfielder Edgar Prib plus the defenders Matthias Ostrzolek, Timo Hübers and Kevin Akpoguma. Defender Oliver Sorg picked up a fifth yellow card at Stuttgart and is suspended for the game against Bayer 04.
The absence of Sorg heightens the defensive problems for the Doll team. After the Stuttgart game, Hannover now have the weakest defence in the Bundesliga with 55 goals conceded to date and over the recent weeks the team has lacked organisation and discipline at times. In addition, the defence now almost selects itself due to the number of injuries. As well as Anton, who has recently played in holding midfield, only Felipe, Kevin Wimmer and Josip Elez are options for midfield, Miiko Albornoz and Julian Korb the only full backs available. The background of mounting problems in defence is not an ideal starting point.
The quality of the squad is currently compromised by the number of players on the injury list but the potential is still there. Above all, the home-grown players provide hope for the future at Hannover 96. Central defender Anton forced his way into the squad as a first choice and leading player at a young age, the two currently injured wingers Maina and Sarenren Bazee have also shown their great potential and are currently sorely missed. All three players come from the club's youth set-up and they should play a leading role in the next few years at Hannover.
The clear defeat at Stuttgart and the furore after the game could act as a warning for the team – and it should do. If Hannover 96 are to avoid relegation from the top flight then there has to be a change of fortune in the coming weeks. The gap to the play-off spot can still be bridged but performances and results must change as quickly as possible. Another decisive factor in the mission to stay up is whether the injury list shortens quickly and the returnees are able to rediscover their best form.


Werkself TV shows highlights of the 2-0 win at Olympiacos in the first leg of the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League 2025/26 league...
Show more
The Werkself beat Olympiacos 2-0 in the 2025/26 UEFA Champions League play-off first leg to claim a crucial victory in the Greek capital. After a focused first-half display with a number of presentable chances, Patrik Schick crowned a textbook counter to hand the Werkself the lead on the hour (60’). The Czech rounded off his brace when he headed in from a corner just 144 seconds later. Bayer 04 maintained their lead with aplomb to achieve a good position for the return leg in Leverkusen.
Show more
Bayer 04 and Olympiacos had only met twice before the current UEFA Champions campaign. After the encounter on Matchday 7 of this season’s league phase, the Werkself travel to face the Greek side for the second time in just four weeks for the knockout play-off first leg. The Black and Reds were dominant for large spells in mid-January but lost 2-0 after missing a number of presentable chances. The Werkself aim to do better on Wednesday night to “seize the chance for revenge,” as managing director sport Simon Rolfes put it. Here’s all you need to know ahead of the game in our matchday news.
Show more
A bitter end to the fifth showdown of the 2025/26 VBL Club Championship as the #B04eSports team failed to take any points in the three remaining matches of the preliminary online round of the fifth and final showdown, missing out on the offline round. They can no longer take points in the overall table. Bayer 04 slipped out on the top eight, so direct participation in the final event for the German Club Championship is no longer possible, with Bayer 04 having to contest the play-offs.
Show more